POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Martian Tripod w/ Heat Ray (44Kb) : Re: Martian Tripod w/ Heat Ray (44Kb) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Martian Tripod w/ Heat Ray (44Kb)
From: Rick Adams
Date: 7 Apr 2000 13:04:48
Message: <benboomREMOVE_THIS_PART-4DCA69.10014407042000@news.povray.org>
In article <38ee01b3@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:

> Now that I've seen the painting of this I'm even more impressed, and it's
> pretty
> darned cool looking to begin with.  I could only think of the kind from
> either
> the radio show (drawings about that?) or the original book or something.
> Found a picture I was thinking of and this is actually similar anyway I
> guess.
> http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/html/books/b1513.html
>
> I had previously tried the one from the 1953 movie.
> http://users.aol.com/iotadot/lwotwx.jpg

Once again, I don't know if this will work, but let me post a message to
an actual article again.

Bob, I think the very best MWM's are the ones in the Classic Illustrated
Comic Book. They knock my socks off! That cover is just spectacular. I
had to search for a couple of years to find a copy, but it was just as
good as I remembered it, which is really a testimonial to the design,
since I hadn't seen one in over thirty years. The guy had a great
imagination and the skill to render it, no pun intended. I haven't been
able to find in illustration of the cover in the net, so if you find
one, please let me know.

I have always wondered how the tripods walked, too, which is why I made
mine fly. :-) The Discovery Channel had a biography of Wells on a few
years ago (narrated by Donald Sutherland, do you can identify it) that
had some computer generated anims of MWM's very similar to the one in
your example. They are certainly worth catching the show for if it ever
comes on again.